Is Quran the true word of God?
Is there a God?
Can it be proven scientifically?
“These were the questions that came to my mind on this journey of exploration, study and an effort to let go of faith and truley believe or disbelieve.- Sheraz”
Muslims believe in monotheism and believe in One God who is the Sovereign Creator of all things. They believe that all the systems and processes in place are created by Him such as the process of evolution or the mechanics of the whole galactic system. The same system which is harmonised and balanced beyond our earth and our solar system, same laws prevail all over and balance each other.
The biggest proof Muslims have for their belief is the Holy Book Quran. It is said to be the exact word of God and when the word exact is used it refers to saying that a single dot even in the phonetics hasn’t even been changed. That is a big claim for a book to be as perfect as God and if imperfections are found then one has to think the other way. Here are some brief facts researched by studying 6 translations by Muslims and non-Muslim translators and comparing them with proven sceinece :
The facts about Quran as confirmed by Cambridge and Oxford University research in religion and history.
1. Quran has one transcript available anywhere in the world. It is in a living language Arabic and all over the world Muslims read the same original transcript in Arabic. No translation is considered valid if the original transcript is not presented with it.
2. It was revealed on Prophet Muhammad and if we see his life history as researched by many universities and scholars over time; the first astonishing fact we find is that he was illiterate. Could not read or write at all. In his time he was known as the most honest and was labelled “Ameen” (honest keeper of anything given to one person).
3. Quran was revealed 1400 years back on Muhammad at the age of 40. As he could not read or write he used to verbally read the verses to his followers after remembering them word by word by grace of God. The followers would either write the spoken words on sheets of leather or learn them by heart and then review the verses with him every week.
4. Quran is the only book remembered by heart word by word with exact phonetics and pronunciation by more then 4 million people around the world, and it is the only religious book to retain its original text for more then 1400 centuries from the time of its writing. There is only ONE transcript of Quran in Arabic.
So the question remains why do Muslims consider Quran to be the exact word of God and what is the proof to support this?
For a book to make such a big claim it needs to stand the test of time and knowledge. It has to perfect in simple words with no contradictions within itself or with any of the proven scientific facts man has learned over the past centuries. It’s a very simple test to put it through to prove it wrong.
Considering that Quran is 1400 years old surely most the modern discoveries in science were not present that time so Quran is bound to have contradictions to prove it wrong…right?
See the following discoveries:
- Recently we came to know that our universe and the whole galactic system is expanding and is in motion here is what Quran tells us 1400 year ago:
Quran 51:47-49 And it is We(God) who have built the universe with [Our creative] power; and, verily, it is We who are steadily expanding it. And of every thing We have created pairs: That ye may receive signs in them.
It was Einstein theory or relativity that first laid down this concept and it was not proved till late 90’s: http://archive.ncsa.illinois.edu/Cyberia/Cosmos/ExpandUni.html
2. Big Bang, everything starting with a single smoke filled with energy and also that ALL living things are created with water. Imagine Muhammad coming from the desert of Arabia saying ALL living thing is created from water. Think how much sense it would have made to people of that time. Here is what Quran says:
Quran 21:30 ARE, THEN, they who are bent on denying the truth not aware that the heavens and the earth were [once] one single entity, which We then parted asunder? – and [that] We made out of water every living thing? Will they not, then, [begin to] believe?
- Seven layers of earth were discovered in the 18 century and in 19 century we actually knew the correct number of layers earth. Here is what Quran told us 1400 years back:
Quran 65:12Allah is He Who created seven Firmaments and of the earth in similar number. Through the midst of them (all) descends His Command: that ye may know that Allah has power over all things, and that Allah comprehends, all things in (His) Knowledge.
4. When was it discovered that in the birth of a child the bones are made before the flesh comes? In early 19 century doctors came to know about this fact; before that discovery this fact was mostly used to undermine Quran. Many centuries back Quran was telling us about the stages of a child birth to the pin point accuracy. One need to be mindful that telescope of any kind was invented in 17 century.
Quran 23:12 NOW, INDEED, We first created man out of the essence of clay, 23:13 And then We cause him to remain as a drop of sperm in [the wombs] firm keeping, 23:14 And then We create out of the drop of sperm a germ-cell, and then We create out of the germ-cell an embryonic lump, and then We create within the embryonic lump bones, and then We clothe the bones with flesh – and then We bring [all] this into being as a new creation: hallowed, therefore, is God, the best of artisans!
5. When did we found out that everything that earth is producing (every plant shrub etc.) has pairs. This was revealed in Quran 1400 years back and one wonders why would some one mention such facts that might make them look very silly at that time. In modern science the first discovery was done in 17th century about plants.
Quran 36:36 Limitless in His glory is He who has created opposites in whatever the earth produces, and in men’s own selves, and in that of which [as yet] they have no knowledge.
6. The solar system and the revolving of sun, moon in its own axis, we found this in the start of the 16 century. Quran tells us in many places:
Quran 21:33 And it is God Who created the night and the day; and the sun and the moon. Each one (sun and moon) travelling in an orbit with its own motion.
Quran 13:2 It is God who has raised the heavens without any supports that you could see, and is established on the throne of His almightiness; and He [it is who] has made the sun and the moon subservient [to His laws], each running its course for a term set [by Him]. He governs all that exists. Clearly does He spell out these messages, so that you might be certain in your innermost that you are destined to meet your Sustainer [on Judgment Day]
7. Earth being spherical, here is Quran tells us:
Quran 79:26 And the earth, moreover, hath He extended (to a spherical expanse); and has caused its waters to come out of it, and its pastures. [all this] as a means of livelihood for you and your animals.
- IRON sent from above and not part of earth. This has been revealed very recently that the molten core of earth is not a part of its own planet formation process. The element Iron is among the many diverse things that the Quran speaks about. Many of you would be surprised to know that Iron doesn’t originally belong to the solar system. In other words, Iron of earth or any other planet of the Solar system was not formed along the rest of the elements here. This is because the temperature of the Sun is simply not enough to form even a single atom of Iron. See this Discovery Channel video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWL7N1Y6H58&feature=related
Quran (57,41) We bestowed revelation from on high, and thus gave you a balance wherewith to weigh right and wrong, so that men might behave with equity; and We sent down [upon you] from on high above iron, in which there is great power as well as [a source of] benefits for man: and [all this was given to you] so that God might mark out those who would stand up for him and His Apostle, even though He [Himself] is beyond the reach of human perception. Verily, God is powerful, Almighty!
9. Big Bang from smoke and presence of sound waves as an initiator proven recently through quantum physics:
Quran 41:11 And He [it is who] applied His design to the skies, which were [yet but] smoke; and He [it is who] said to them and to the earth, “Come [into being], both of you, willingly or unwillingly!” – to which both responded, “We do come in obedience.”
See this it also explains the expanding universe: http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn6871-big-bang-sound-waves-explain-galaxy-clustering.html
10. Atom is divisible? This discovery was made in 1897 by Joseph John Thomson (the famous J.J. Thompson) discovered the Electron – A particle that is smaller than the Atom and one that resides within it. By this great discovery, it was proved for good that Atom was indeed divisible and that there were things that were smaller than the Atom.
Quran 43:3: “The Unbelievers say “Never to us will come the hour”: say “Nay! but most surely by my Lord it will come upon you by Him Who knows the unseen from Whom is not hidden the least little atom in the Heavens or on earth: nor is there anything less than that or greater but is in the Record Perspicuous:”
11. Every living thing of Earth created from water, here is what Quran tells us: Imaging an illetrate man coming from the desert of Arabia talking about everything created out of water: Think again OUT of WATER…
Quran 24:45 And it is God who has created all animals out of water; and [He has willed that] among them are such as crawl on their bellies, and such as walk on two legs, and such as walk on four. God creates what He will: for, verily, God has the power to will anything.
God says in Quran:
Quran 2:164 Verily, in the creation of the heavens and of the earth, and the succession of night and day: and in the ships that speed through the sea with what is useful to man: and in the waters which God sends down from the sky, giving life thereby to the earth after it had, been lifeless, and causing all manner of living creatures to multiply thereon: and in the change of the winds, and the clouds that run their appointed courses between sky and earth: [in all this] there are messages indeed for people who use their reason.
Read the above a couple of times and the signs are clear to anyone above that Quran is welcoming everyone to use their reason to understand.
The claim of Quran:
Quran 11:1: (This is) a Book, the Verses whereof are perfected (in every sphere of knowledge) and then explained in detail from One (Allah), Who is All-Wise and Well-Acquainted (with all things).
That is again a big claim and this discovery is quite astonishing in that aspect:
The word sea (bahr) is used 32 times in the Quran. The word bahr is used both for the sea and other waters like lakes and rivers. The word land (berr, yabas) is used 13 times in Quran. If we calculate the ratio of 32 to 45 the result is 71.111%.
-Sea + land = 32 + 13 = 45
– % sea = 32/45 * 100 % = 71.11111111
– % land= 13 / 45 * 100 % = 28.88888889 Therefore: % sea+ % land = 100.00
Modern Science has only recently proven that the water covers 71.111% of the earth, while the land covers 28.889 %. Is this a coincidence?
Dr. Alfred Kroner is one of the world’s renowned geologists. He is Professor of Geology and the Chairman of the Department of Geology at the Institute of Geosciences, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany.
Talking about the common origin of the earth and universe (The big bang theory in the Quran) He said:
“Thinking where Muhammad came from . . . I think it is almost impossible that he could have known about things like the common origin of the universe, because scientists have only found out within the last few years, with very complicated and advanced technological methods, that this is the case.”.
There are many such signs which are there in Quran to showcase to mankind its authenticity and the above-mentioned facts should be enough for someone to develop the interest into this avenue of truth and explore more. The least one can do is to believe in the Creator the One Who loves us the most and created us with all the love to pronounce us HIS best creation. Rest is with God to show us the right path and help us develop consciousness about His existence and how HE intervenes in our daily lives to make us succeed this test of life with free will.
Looking at life itself and its uncertainty one can easily understand it is a test; obviously, this understanding will settle in once a level of trust or interest has been developed through above facts. To know how good a vehicle is you need to understand how it actually works and understand its characteristics & attributes. But you cant know about it is by looking at its driver and how he/she is driving it. Same is the case with Islam if you want to understand this religion you will have to explore Quran and not see the people who showcase to be its drivers. Your relationship with your Creator is personal and Quran helps you to reach that conscious level.
The aim of this short writing is to showcase some of the signs that I have discovered so far in Quran in an effort to find the right path and true meaning & reason of this temporary life. I hope the readers can come close in understanding but moreover at least start believing that there is ONE God who has masterfully knitted this whole process of life to test us and then bless the ones who remain conscious of Him and love all his creations. Once you know Him a mystical connection is formed and a pure soul starts experiencing selfless love back towards Him and He responds believe me He does in a way that comforts the heart beyond imagination. You feel as if the fire in your heart has been quenched with cold water, verily a heart finds peace when God’s love enters it.
As God says in Quran:
Quran 3:57 whereas unto those who attain to faith and do good deeds He will grant their reward in full: for God does not love evildoers.”
Quran 3:76 Nay, but [God is aware of] those who keep their bond with Him, and are conscious of Him: and, verily, God loves those who are conscious of Him.
Quran 3:134 And who spend [in His way] in time of plenty and in time of hardship, and hold in check their anger, and pardon their fellow-beings because God Loves the doers of good;
Quran 3:140 If misfortune touches you, [know that] similar misfortune has touched [other] people as well; for it is by turns that We apportion unto mankind such days [of fortune and misfortune]: and [this] to the end that God might mark out those who have attained to faith, and choose from among you such as [with their lives] bear witness to the truth – since God does not love evildoers.
Quran 2:62 VERILY, those who have attained to faith [in this divine writ Quran], as well as those who follow the Jewish faith, and the Christians, and the Sabians -all who believe in true one God and the Last Day and do righteous deeds-shall have their reward with their Sustainer; and no fear need they have, and neither shall they grieve.
Through logic, you can only reach to the door of truth but it is Love that will lead your way inside that avenue. There is a lot more than science to your relationship towards God. It all starts with a creator in love with His own creation and life’s events showcasing His love and His effort to make you Love Him back unconditionally without force.
May God’s Blessings and Peace be upon you and may we find the right path. Amen!
Hope you believe….